One of James Gravenmier's favorite places on this Earth was Redbird Mission (First United Methodist) in Beverly, Kentucky in the Appalachian Mountains. When you speak mountains, you just know that it is a special place. James went about six years ago on a mission trip with some men of our church. From that time on he would never have considered spending a week in October in any other place. He had his mountaintop experience there and was never the same again. Hallelujah!
I, myself, now have first hand experience with Redbird. There were only two women who signed up for the trip - my friend, Sherry, and myself. Therefore, we joined forces with our men's group (13) and made our pilgrimage to one of the more remote, poverty-ridden areas in the United States. Most of these families live on less than $9500 a year. There is no cell phone service/satellite service and in some areas probably not some of the other amenities (necessities) of life.
I went for several reasons: a Gravenmier needed to be represented on this mission team; I wanted to revisit the quiet, serene place where the girls and I had scattered his ashes; I felt that this trip was necessary in order to really HEAL; but the most important reason is that God cleared the way and made it impossible to say NO to going. HE wanted me there!
We arrived on Sunday night. By bedtime that night, I was so totally overwhelmed and was desperately trying to decide who to try to call to come get me. I just did not feel that I could stay. (Thank heavens for no cell phone service.)
After spending what seemed an eternity, dawn and rain finally came to the mountains and I met our crew leader, C. R. This was a wonderful 21 year old young man who had lost his mother 3 years ago to a sudden massive heart attack, his dad remarrying rather quickly and leaving C. R. to be caregiver to 13 and 16 years old sisters. I was supposed to be here and God made sure that I stayed.
Even though we worked very hard repairing the soffit/facia, front porch, and trim on a house for Henrietta and Billy Marcum; cleaned the girls' dorm (made 28 beds, cleaned 13 bathrooms, dusted, mopped, and did all the laundry); and helped our men roof a house for the Clays, it was a wonderful bonding experience for all of us. I can truthfully say that I am exhausted.
I didn't have a mountaintop experience as James did, but God brought me to the mountain to heal. Our men on the team, lifted me up and God was waiting.
I even got to ride and operate a bucket on a bucket truck. I guess I will be able to mark "ride in a bucket off my bucket list"!!!!!
This was such a blessed week. I just had to end it with a bang. I went to early church and Sunday school in Milan. I, then, left and the girls and I went to First United Methodist, Jackson and were able to hear a sermon from our former pastor and dear friend, Dan Camp. It was a wonderful monologue, choir, sermon about the Prodigal Son. We were able to visit with he and Lane for a bit.
Blessings! Blessings! Blessings! God has poured them out around me this week.
Rest well.
Grace and Peace be with you.
May God's face shine upon you!
Cathy
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment