Thursday, September 16, 2010

Falling to Sleep

There are so many rules and reminders to grief. I have lost my grandmother, grandfathers, dad, mom, and now my sole mate. I read that when you lose your grandparents, you lose your heritage. When you lose your parents, you lose your past. When you lose your spouse, you lose your present.When you lose your child, you lose your future. This is so profound, but so true.
Rule 1: Don't make any major changes the first year. I changed my bed from a California King to a full size bed. What a step down. Rule 2: Clean out the "closet" at least by 3 1/2 weeks. We finally made it in 3 1/2 months. Rule 3: Don't make so many adjustments too quickly or without thought to the consequences.
Which brings me to the topic of today's blog.
When I was a young girl, I had a twin bed. I would scoot all the way down and hook my toes over the end. I would then rock myself to sleep. This habit continued into young adulthood.When James Gravenmier and I became man and wife, we had a full size bed. I used the same method for rocking myself to sleep to overcome his snoring. He snored. I rocked. We were the perfect couple. Except, he hated the "rocking" bed. He fumed and complained enough that I decided to grow up and dispense with the rocking. Marital bliss continued, until he became ill. Guess which habit helped him to relax and fall asleep during chemo or after a hard day at work, or when he became really ill? You got it! He hooked his feet on the end of the bed and would rock us both to sleep!
This weekend we cleaned out his closet. Monday, I gave my Calif. king bed to Kate and Josh and got a full size bed. I have now resumed the habit of hooking my toes over the end of the bed and rocking myself to sleep.
This week has been one of the worst on me to date. I think that I broke rule number 3 - Don't make too many changes too quickly.
Grief - Get rest if energy fails! Maybe you need to rock yourself to sleep! It does wonders.
Thank you Lord for our many blessings.
Have a glorious, fall weekend.
Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment